Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Doc Challenge Paperwork and More

Sig has confirmed that she will most likely not participate in this documentary challenge because she will be going on a cruise to Europe. I wish I were going on a cruise to Europe. Oh wait, I'm going to Vietnam! I guess I can't complain. In any case, Sig won't be handling the paperwork this time around. Hmm, I wonder if Joanne will take on this task?

By the way, I realize that this pic has no relevance to this blog whatsoever. Whenever I get a chance to put my dog's mug on my blog, I will!

-----Original Message-----
From: info@documentarychallenge.org [mailto:info@documentarychallenge.org]
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:18 PM
To: Nguyen, Tony
Subject: Doc Challenge Paperwork and More

Hello Again Doc Challenge Filmmakers,

Only a week left to prepare for your documentary challenge! A few more things I want to let you know about:

1) PAPERWORK: You must complete and turn in all of the paperwork with your film to be eligible for awards. All the required forms can be found here:

http://www.docchallenge.org/filmdocs.htm

Please note that the Participant̢۪s Agreement need only be signed by the Team Leader.

2) TIME ELEMENT: To ensure the films were made within the required time frame, each team must prove the date the film was made by adding a time element to the film or credits. Feel free to be creative, but make sure that it is obvious to the judges. If the judges have a hard time determining the time element, the film will be disqualified. An example of an accepted time element: The main subject is holding a newspaper and the date is large enough to read. This can be done in the credits of the film so as to not affect the flow of the film.

3) THEME: You will be given a broad theme (such as "Faith") that must be addressed at some point in your film. This can be as simple as one reference to the theme (such as a question asked of an interviewee) or the whole film can be based on this theme. In the end, the judges have to be able to recognize that at some point the theme was addressed in the film.

4) LEGAL QUESTIONS: I am here to answer specific questions about the competition itself, but I am not a lawyer and am prohibited from giving teams advice on legal matters when it comes to shooting their films. All I can say is that you must have rights to all of your footage, photos, music, etc. You should use whatever means you would use on any other documentary to find out what is legal and what is not. Sorry, wish I could be more help (but we could get in a lot of trouble if I started giving out legal advice!) What I can do is recommend that everyone look at the "Documentary Filmmakers' Statement of Best Practices in Fair Use" that was put together by The Center for Social Media and the Washington College of Law with input from AIVF, IFP, IDA, NAMAC and Women in Film & Video. You can find it here:

http://www.documentary.org/resources/src/Fair_Use/bestpractices.pdf


Get some sleep now while you can!

Doug Whyte
Doc Challenge Producer

No comments: