Sunday, September 16, 2007

Film de Femme Update.

I found out what I'm really good at: procrastination. It's about 5:30pm on Sunday, and I'm sitting here on the guacamole green Ikea couch watching football. I feel like I've just gotten out of bed, as I am still in my boxers and scrubs. I've moved the couch about 10 inches in front of the TV set because I'm too lazy to put my contacts in. I'm pretty much blind today. I'm feeling a bit guilty because rather than working on my assignment, I caught the Colts vs. Titans and Broncos vs. Raiders games, and now I'm watching Tom Brady tame the Bolts. At some point, I will need to turn off the TV and get to work on my Film de Femme. If it's any consolation, I do have my MacBook Pro on my lap, and I am working on some Photoshop work for my film. Should I be revealing so much about my procrastination being that Professor Donn reads everything that goes on in this blog? Well, this is a course in digital work flow, and procrastination does play a part in my work flow. I might as well be honest about it.

I'm spending way too much time on cleaning up vintage photos. I will be using a few old pics from my mom's photo album, and I am finding that I am being way too meticulous with the restoration process. Look at the two photos below. Can you see any significant differences? I see them because I've been obsessing over it for about 3 hours. As I noted earlier, this is a course in work flow, and I am realizing that I am spending too much time on something that the average viewer may not even notice.



For the next project, I am actually going to assign myself a schedule so that I don't get too carried away with perfection. I have to remember that I do have a deadline, and that spending three hours with the rubber stamp and eraser tools in Photoshop is not the most practical thing to do. I'll also have to work on my chronic procrastination problem. Is there a drug I can take to cure me of this?

1 comment:

Evan Donn said...

Yes, three hours spent cleaning up an old photograph would not be what I would consider an efficient workflow, unless the photo was in very bad shape. Yours isn't.

And... rubber stamp and eraser? That's so old school (did I mention I started out in photo restoration). You might want to try to healing brush & tool... much, much faster.