Monday, September 3, 2007

Future of Internet TV Is Coming Into View

I can relate to Leslie Walker's article "Future of Internet TV Is Coming Into View." In her opening paragraph, the technology columnist noted that she "was trying to sleep on a flight home from Las Vegas Sunday when the craving hit: I want my Internet TV." Talk about timing. I thought the exact same thing a week ago with I was sitting on a plane returning from Scotland.

I was in Scotland for The Edinburgh Festival Fringe the week of August 17th through the 24th. During my 20-plus hour journey, I, like Ms. Walker, really wanted alternative entertainment. I didn't have too many options on those Air Canada flights: it was either watch Shrek 3 (which I saw once on my way from San Francisco to Toronto and then again on my way from Toronto to London) or listen to the Hannah Montana soundtrack (I bet a lot of you don't know who Hannah Montana is. I just happen to have a 12 year old niece, so I know this Disney channel TV character very well). I went bonkers, so I turned to my MacBook Pro for video entertainment.

As part of my packing ritual, I always make sure that I have enough entertainment on the plane, so I bought some TV shows off if iTunes. Detectives Elliot Stabler and Olivia Benson of the Manhattan SVU squad kept me company until I fell asleep. I woke up about an hour later and realized that the plane was somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean and that we wouldn't be arriving in London for another four hours, so again I scrambled to find some entertainment. Luckily, I found clips of The Indianapolis Colts post-season games that I had stashed in my iTunes library. I never get sick of watching Peyton Manning and The Colts come from behind and beating the New England Patriots in the last year's AFC Championships Game, so I watched that over and over again for the next two hours. At that point, my battery died.

It was good that I came prepared for this flight with these videos. Walker noted that "Instead of watching the dorky movie US Airways was showing, say I flip open my six-inch Verizon Internet viewer, switch to my Google Video channel, select "CSI: Baltimore; Jan. 5," and watch my favorite TV show, which I missed while in Vegas (hey, there's bound to be a "CSI: Baltimore" by then)." I thought the exact same thing. What I really wanted was to watch other 48 Hour Film Projects, YouTube clips, and music videos. No More Shrek, puh-leeze!!! Technology has come a long way, so I'm on board with Walker's prediction for the future. I'm looking forward to it. Ah, wouldn't it be nice to just be able to choose anything to watch at any time the next time I'm on a transatlantic flight?

No comments: