Saturday, September 15, 2007

Film de Femme.

It's Saturday morning and I'm sitting here on the guacamole green Ikea couch working on my Film de Femme. When that Korean girl with short hair who sits next to me in class pulled this genre, I immediately scratched my head. Film de Femme? Hmmm. I looked online to see what the 48 Hour Film Project's interpretation of this genre and this is what I found:

What's a strong female character? Think Police Chief Marge Gunderson in Fargo, Bette Davis in All About Eve, Reese Witherspoon in Election or Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich. Smart and complicated. Try to avoid having a woman doing a man's job like a man would do his job. And contrary to public opinion, strong women characters are not required to kill someone!

So after pondering this for a few days, I have decided to make a short film about my sister Diane. To me, a strong woman is not necessarily a female VP at a Fortune 500 company or a Norma Rae type who fights for a cause. My sister may be neither of these things, but she still is a strong woman. Why? Because she realizes her fears in life, but she will not run away from them. Every year for her birthday, Diane tries to conquer one of her phobias or fear by facing them dead on. This will be a film de femme about my sister Diane.

No comments: