Saturday, November 3, 2007

Error Code - 1309


Check out that perplexed look on Dr. Kemp's face. I think that's the exact same look he had when his iron zapped his G5 during the editing of "Retreat." I could be wrong, as the room was pitch black and I didn't get a chance to really check out his expression. But I would imagine that this would be the same look. Earlier today, I had this same expression on my face.

Rick and I arranged to meet at his editing studio this afternoon so that I could copy all of IDOM's files onto my new 750 gig Seagate external hard drive that I bought at CostCo. It only cost me $199! Hard drives are getting cheaper and cheaper these days, which is a good thing. When I dragged the Urgent Care, Doggie Style, Exit, and Retreat folders from Rick's hard drive over to mine, everything seemed to transfer ok. Unfortunately, about 20 minutes into it, I received the following error message:


I've seen this annoying message on a few other occasions, but this time I wanted to find out what the heck this meant. I jumped online and typed in "Error code - 1309", and every message board I see on the topic seems to yield the same results:

If you are copying files from your OS X partition to external drive or a Boot Camp partition and receive Finder Error Code -1309, it most likely means you are copying a file greater than 4 GB in size, which is the maximum a FAT32 formated drive can support. That's because the 32 in FAT32 means it uses a 32-bit unsigned integer for the number of bytes in a file, so 2^32-1 is 4 GB.

FAT32? 32-bit unsigned integer? JARGON! JARGON! JARGON! I spent the next couple of hours trying to decipher all this, but had no luck. If anyone knows how I can remedy this problem, please advise. ARGH!!

No comments: