Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

I think I OD'ed on turkey again. I do this every year. It's Thanksgiving everyone, gobble gobble! This is a good time for me to express what I am thankful for, which I will do in bullet point format:
  • I am thankful for having all ten digits on my hand. Missing one or two would make typing quite difficult.
  • I am thankful that I have a job that brings in a steady pay check and a solid 401k.
  • I am thankful that my family members aren't freaks. Well, most of them aren't, that is.
  • I am thankful that my two beloved cats, Poppy and George Russell Sunshine Crack Whore, are healthy.
  • I am thankful for the National Football League. Without it, Sundays would be so boring.
  • I am thankful that it donned on me. You know what "it" is.
  • I am thankful that my mom and I finally connected on a creative level...
Yup, you read that last bullet point correctly. It may come as a surprise to some of you that I inserted the word "finally" into that last bullet point. The truth of the matter is that, though I inherited my mother's right brain, the two of us never really exchanged notes. I believe my mom tried her best to suppress my creativity. It was important to her that I achieved the "American Dream" of becoming a doctor or lawyer, and that any right brain activity was nothing more than a distraction. It must have been frustrating for her to dissuade me from exploring art, music, and drama, knowing that I am the carbon copy of her. Growing up, I resented my mother for this, and it wasn't until recently that I understood why she did what she did. It took many years for me to come to this realization, but my mother just wanted the best for me. There definitely was a disconnect between us.

Last night, I showed my mom my latest project. She sat there completely stoic. I wasn't sure what ran through her head. Did I upset her? Did I offend her? Her blank expression worried me. When the film ended, she looked me straight in the eye and said, "Wow." I still didn't quite exactly know what she meant by this, so I continued to wait for a follow up. My mom took a deep breath and replied, "Wow. I am very impressed. Can you please start it from the beginning so I can watch it again." I let out a sigh of relief and played it again. This is what I meant by me being thankful that my mom and I finally connected on a creative level. I do believe that this is a first.

Happy Thanksgiving.


By the way, I am also thankful that my Colts beat the Kansas City Chiefs 31-13. You like how my mom is wearing the Peyton Manning jersey while he's going in for a touchdown pass behind her?

No comments: