Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!

2007 was all about putting up sand bags outside my house so that the creative juices that burst from within my the right side of my mind wouldn't flood my home town. I am completely drenched, and I thank Hurricane IDOM for getting me wet. I have always wanted to be a part of a film production team and this year I got just that. I knew from the beginning, though, that this would be a challenge, since I am a solo kind of guy when it comes to my creativity. I admit, I was a bit nervous at first, but in the end, it donned on me that joining this group was the best thing I ever did for the right side of my brain. What an incredible year. I'd like to take this time to thank Evan, Sig, Dinah, Rob, Joe, Rick, Tom, Joanne, and Kirk for coming along on this crazy ride.


For those who are new to Blogged Arteries: The Unrendered Files, and have no clue what I am talking about, Evan Donn sums up IDOM best:

For the past few years Evan Donn has been teaching classes in After Effects and Final Cut Pro in the Multimedia department at College Of San Mateo. Every semester there were a couple of students who just wouldn't go home when the class was over, staying after with a seemingly endless stream of questions about every imaginable aspect of video production. Many of them returned semester after semester for whichever class Evan was teaching at the time. In the spring of 2006 Evan taught a new class called DV Workflow which consisted almost entirely of these "irregulars". DV Workflow became essentially an 'everything but the kitchen sink' type of class covering the entire process of video production with an emphasis on producing video for the web. As part of DV Workflow every member of the class had to produce an episodic video series for the web. This led to various members teaming up to work on each others' videos as well as providing valuable input on the finished videos during class screenings. When the class ended everyone felt that the working dynamic of the group was worth continuing.

Led by Chief Instigator Tony Nguyen they dubbed themselves 'The Evan Donn School of Film' and began holding quarterly screenings of everyone's current work. In 2006 several members of the group attended one of the 48 Hour Film screenings, and they all walked out with the same thought - we can do that. From that point on the quarterly screenings took on a new direction as 'challenges' were thrown out with criteria similar to the 48 Hour Film Project. This helped prepare the team members for the challenge of building a short film around a character, prop and line of dialogue. As the 2007 competition drew closer Mr. Nguyen once again took the lead and signed up the team. Put on the spot to come up with a team name he considered and rejected many possibilities before the ideal name 'donned' on him...

Despite their history together, the 2007 48 Hour Film Project was the first time all members of the group had worked together on a single project...but it definitely won't be the last...

No comments: