Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Exotic Erotic Ball 1998

I found another journal entry from the unemployment era. This one is dated October 24, 1998. I was going to wait until the 24th to post this blog, but since the National Film Challenge is this weekend, I'll go ahead and share this sulk fest now. I went through rough times 10 years ago, and seeing these old journal entries is bringing back haunting memories that I would rather forget. Nonetheless, I'm actually ok with all this because I've come a long way since 1998. Life is good now, and I like to think that all that unemployment angst actually helped me in the long run.


Exotic-Erotic Ball
October 24, 1998
Saturday Night

I needed to be blasted into the realm of make believe to make all the angst of unemployment disappear. I was tired of sulking at home, so it made perfect sense to attend San Francisco’s Hottest Halloween Bash: The Exotic-Erotic Ball. This event came at the perfect time, because depression had eaten its way through my system. What I really needed was to be immersed in world of multiple personalities, freaky souls with smeared make-up and gelled-up hair, and--of course--the rash of nude crude & lewd dudes & dudettes. Indeed, this is what I got at the Exotic-Erotic Ball.

Marie, Luis, and I attended this event in rather conservative mode. I, for one, donned my traditional Pillsbury DoughBoy Suit--the one that has given me so much attention the previous two years. I realize that guests are expected to dress in an erotic or exotic fashion, but there was no way I was going to peel off the Old-Navy-layer of my body, the one that serves as the extra coating on top of my epidermis. I call it my oldnavermis layer. Given that, I chose to sport the white tyvex suit once again. The irony lies in the fact that this suit, taken from Cell Culture Production--my former employer--served as a constant reminder of my unemployment status. Nonetheless, I extinguished all thoughts of CCP when the white make-up got slapped on my face and the big chef’s hat plunked on my head.



If memory serves me correctly, I believe the three of had just an ok time. I don't think that the Exotic Erotic Ball shocked us at all. I do remember that hanging out with Luis and Marie made me forget about my blues, at least for a couple of hours.

Why is it that I never finished any journal entries ten years ago?

1 comment:

Jeff Crispi said...

Doctor Nguyen,
I've been looking for people to go to this Ball for a few years now. Let me know if you go in 2009.

Peace