Sunday, October 19, 2008

One Year Diary

There's actually room to roam around the garage! We rented a dumpster and pretty much got rid of 70% of the junk in there. The other 20% went to Goodwill. There's still about 10% left, and my mom will have to sort through those boxes.

I managed to find yet another gem from my past. Apparently, I kept a "diary" back in 1985. Notice that I put the word diary in quotes because I really don't like that word. I prefer to call this book yesterday's version of blogging! I had forgotten about this diary, so imagine how shocked I was when I found it. What's more shocking is the pathetic content inside! I opened the book and saw this note:

"Please publish this book and make it into a movie. Get Michael J. Fox to play me.”

The funny thing is that I had originally written Robert Redford, but I crossed it and put in Alex P. Keaton. I guess I had just seen Out Of Africa but didn't like it, so I replaced Mr. Redford with the Family Ties star.



The first entry was posted on the inside cover on December 29, 1985:

"I'm sitting on my bed listening to the year end countdown. It's at #9 right now. We Are The World. Willie Nelson just came on. It's 10:47 right now."

On the opposite page is this message, written with a black Sharpie:

"Who ever opens this book, read it through. You'll find it very [underlined three times] interesting. Someday, this book will be a #1 Best Seller."



Saturday, January 18, 1986:

"Hi. Today I woke up early to watch America's Top Ten. That's What Friends Are For is #1. Steimy? Definately! Diane and Nat and Madonna went to see Out Of Africa. Steimy! I took a Boo Boo Bath today. We went to church and after that we went to La Maison Où. After that we went to La Tours de Disc. I saw Gimme A Break, Facts Of Life, and The Golden Girls while Diane and Nat were playing tennis. Lordums! No more room."

Now I'm really confused. According to this entry, my sisters and Madonna (not the Material Girl, my sister Diane had a Persian friend named "Mandanna") went to see Out Of Africa. I guess I didn't see this film so why would I cross Robert Redford's name out? The better question may be why would I have written his name in the first place? Very puzzling. On another note, "La Maison Où" is The Wherehouse and "La Tours de Disc" is Tower Records. I wonder if I bought a 45 that night? Probably Mr. Mister's "Kyrie."



Sunday, January 19, 1986:

"I really detest Sundays. I absolutely hate Sundays. It bugs me. I always get face aches and bored on Sundays. I heard some of the countdown today. I woke up late. At around 9:45 or 10:oo. I didn't go to work today. Today Nathalie made chis (cheese) cake. Except for going for a short ride because of dad's new radio, I stayed home the whole day. Ricky Schroeder got married, for a course. His wife was pregnant. They didn't have my calendar!"

Wow, my life was so exciting back in the day.

No comments: