Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Moon

There's so much going on in my life right now: home improvement, National Film Challenge preparations, Vietnamese class, work--when will the madness end? In any case, I'm still plugging along with this garage. I'm still stunned and amazed by the things I've been finding. I managed to come across a box of my college papers and one of the folders in that box was marked "Creative Writing." Well, you all know that I am a prolific blogger, but are you prepared to see some of things that spewed out of my brain pre-Blogged Arteries? Below is a poem that I wrote in the mid-90's. It's called "The Moon."


The Moon

The yellow light lasted a mere 5 seconds,
And then it turned to red.
I slowed my vehicle to a stop, and I stared at the rectangular box.
My engine quietly purred as I patiently waited.

I turned my head 180 degrees due west, and I faintly see the moon.
It is a blur, but I nonetheless revel in its beauty.
I see the round object a distance away.
It is white like snow and it shines.
It is full of life and it glows.
It knows the world is watching.
So it beams a big winning smile, grabbing the attention of its spectators.

I rub my eyes so that I could get a better look...
But now I see a different picture.
I still see the same object, but it is now closer.
It is white like paste and it blanches.
It is full of arrogance, and it sports a cocky attitude.
It knows the world is watching,
So it flaunts a smug little smirk, provoking the disgust of its spectators.

I rub my eyes again...
I realized then that that smirk was not a smile.
It was more like an indentation: a CRACK.
The magestic object I was admiring was not the full moon I thought it to be.
It was more like a distant planet: URANUS.

I felt like a fool.
How could I have made such a mASSive error in judgment?
That pseudo-lunar thing was xeroxed in my brain.
I could not get that hideous picture out of my head.
The moon cAN ALways count on the creatures of the night to upstage it.

I looked away in disgust.
The light turned green, and I moved onward.
One last time, I looked back, hoping that it was gone,
But, BUT, BUTT...
That full moon was still there.



No comments: