Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What I Learned

I always learn something new when I take on a new project, and this OpenCut competition is certainly no exception. All I really wanted out of Susannah was to learn how to edit in RED, and I got just that and a little more. Below are the things I learned as one third of MacDiva & The Donnettes.
  • Because audio and video are separated in RED, do not discard video that looks bad. The audio for that bad clip could very well be the one that is ultimately used.
  • If there are three editors, create separate sequences in Final Cut Pro so that each editor could work on his or her interpretation of the film. This worked wonders for MacDiva & The Donnettes.
  • Always allow enough time for rendering, compressing, and uploading. Yes, this may seem obvious, but definitely worth reiterating.
  • Jamendo is a great place to find Creative Commons licensed music. This is where we found Houdini Roadshow's "Driving With The Devil," and Outsider's "Holiday."
  • When frying a bison burger, use a lid so the oil doesn't splatter all over the place. Ok, this one has nothing to do with the editing of Susannah, but it still is something I learned while working on this project!



I'd like to take this time to thank Sig Thorsen and Dinah deSpenza for their dedication to this project. I learned so much from these two, but more importantly, I had a whole lot of fun. I am very proud of our final product. MacDiva & The Donnettes truely rocks!

No comments: