Friday, March 14, 2008

The Dê Factor

I thought I knew Vietnamese cuisine, but there's so many things here that I've never seen before. I really do want my Vietnam experience to be as authentic as possible, so I will jump in and try as much as my digestive tract can handle. Tonight, I feasted on a meal that would earn me brownie points on Fear Factor. Before I divulge what exactly it is that I ate, I'd like to give a background story.

The question I get every time here in Vietnam is that of why I am not married and have a family yet. When I tell them that I am currently unattached, I get the same reaction, and that is of confusion. After I explain that I like being a bachelor in America, my relatives try to convince me that I am wrong and immediately give me a list of Vietnamese women whom they would like me to meet. I kid you not.

In any case, my cousin Dai surmised that the reason why I have not been able to get married and have a family is because I lack what is called "the dê factor." Please bear with me as I attempt to tell this story because my Vietnamese vocabulary is somewhat limited. I am fairly certain that I will be mixing up some of these words, so for all you Vietnamese folks out there, I apologize in advance. The term "dê," roughly pronounced "yay" in English, is a goat. Dê is also a homophone for the act of being perverted. I know there is a better translation out there, but I'm doing the best that I possibly can here. My understanding from Dai's explanation is that in order for me to find a wife and start a family, I need to have that "dê factor." So, he invited me to dine on this aphrodisiac so that I would be able to find the love of my life. I was hesitant at first, but I figured why not, let's be a little adventurous. Who's knows, I may fine my "em yeu" out of this.

I got to the restaurant, and the waiter brought out a few different plates of meat. Dai explained that each plate was a different part of the goat. I quickly interrupted him and asked me to tell me no more. I figured the less I know the better off I would be. I picked up my chopsticks and picked up a piece from the first dish. I chewed and I chewed, and I chewed some more. The piece of goat was so rubbery, I thought I was chewing on a rubber band. I also couldn't really make out a taste. I just figured everything tasted like chicken, but this was definitely not the case. I chewed for about three minutes when I realized that this mastication process was taking so long that I decided to just swallow the damn goat. As I forced the piece of meat down my trachea, I began to feel my gag reflex start up, so I quickly grabbed my Coco Cola and pushed everything down with it. Dai and the rest of my cousins watched me as I took that first bite. After I successfully swallowed that piece, I tried every other plate on the table. After I sampled each one, I asked Dai what exactly it was that I had just consumed. His response:
  • Plate #1: Goat thigh.
  • Plate #2: Various goat parts marinated in goat blood (picture at the top of this blog).
  • Plate #3: Goat nipples.
Yes, you read that third bullet point correctly. I ate goat nipples. Actually, it was probably the whole teet, but I only ate the the tip, hence the nipple. I do have to say that the goat nipple is best part of the goat. Every other part was rubbery and hard to chew, but the nipple was soft and juicy. Would I eat this animal again? Probably not.

After dinner, I asked Dai when the dê factor would kick in. He said instantly. I'm still waiting...

1 comment:

DianeN said...

Hmmmm, I think it worked. I would assumed you age goat meat before heading to Hue? You got the attention of that flight attendant didn't you? She said you were cute! She could have been your Em Yeu!