Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Project

I'm really supposed to be sitting in my Saturday morning After Effects class right now, but instead, I am lying on my bed barely awake. Jetlag has really hit me hard. I've already missed the last three weeks, so how much damage could a fourth do? Technically, I'm not enrolled in this class, so I don't think the instructor really cares that I am there or not. But then again, I do bring such an effervescent vibe to class that I know he must miss me, right Professor Donn?

I am drawing attention to this because I find it a bit ironic that I've just returned from Vietnam and am missing Evan Donn's class. You see, the reason why my mother and I took this journey back to our home land is because of his Digital Workflow course last semester. As one of my assignments, I had to put together a movie with a war theme. I thought about this and decided to do a piece on my mother. The final product moved her, a reaction that I did not anticipate. She immediately asked me for copies so that she could send to her friends. I knew then that I was on to something, so I spontaneously asked her to take me to Vietnam so I could expand on the project. Within the next few weeks, we booked our plane tickets, and the rest is history.

I had not posted this project for personal reasons. My classmate, Sig Thorsen, kept reminding me that she wanted to see it, but could not find it anywhere on my blog. For some unexplained reason, I was unable to share this piece with the public. I'm really not sure why, but I know I am ready to post it now. My mom and I just went on an incredible journey together, and you all have vicariously joined us via Blogged Arteries: The Unrendered Files. That journey has come to the end, and now is the appropriate time to show the project that triggered this whole thing. I'd like to give a shout out to Evan Donn, because if I had not taken his Digital Workflow class last semester, I would have never went on this trip of self discovery.

On a final note, to all my readers out there, mother's day is coming up. Take a little road trip with your mom. Talk to her. Ask her about her childhood. Inquire about her days before she met your dad. Find out if she has any funny anecdotes or fond memories of her days as a young adult. Believe me, you will learn so much about who you are by knowing who your mom is.

3 comments:

DianeN said...

I'm so touched by this video. Tears are dripping slowly down my cheeks but I have to quickly wipe them away as I don't want to see any co-workers seeing. Very well put together Borm! Can't wait to see your full documentary of Mom.

Evan Donn said...

last week was spring break, so it's actually a good thing that you didn't come to class...

Dinah deSpenza said...

BRAVO!