Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My Name Is...

My mom took Di Minh's whole family out to dinner. I swear, I thought I had a big family with my four older siblings and five nieces and nephews. Di Minh's family outnumber us by five times. I've been blogging so much about this side of my family, but I think I've only posted one or two pictures of my mom's sister, so I think it is now time to post a pic of the clan.

On another note, my cousins and I had a discussion about how Vietnamese names are translated into English. I explained that there is really no rhyme or reason as to how these names are selected. Some people pull names out of hat, some name their kids after movie starts, and some just find an American name that sounds closest to the Vietnamese counterpart. My cousins were quite fascinated by this concept, so they asked me to give them American names. Off the top of my head, I came up with the following:

Anh Dai = Derek
Anh Quy = Quentin
Chi Tram Anh = Trudy
Chi Tran = Julie
Chi Trang = Peggy Paige
Anh Quang = Mango
Anh Chau = Charlie
Chi Thuy = Twyla
Chi Nga = Nellie
Di Minh = Mindy

Di Minh--or rather, I should say my "Aunt Mindy"--and her family have a very good sense of humor. They love their new American names. I'm pretty good at this naming thing. I can't wait until I have kids.

3 comments:

Maddy said...

Did u ever find Pax?

Tony Nguyen said...

Ooh, Maddie, your aunt Tram Anh said that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie were in Saigon to adopt Pax, it was very secretive. Nobody knew they were there. One afternoon, she was on her scooter and she noticed two foreigners scooting around. She just figured they were tourists. However, when the woman took off her helmet, she saw that it was Angelina Jolie!

DianeN said...

Goodness gracious, what a large family! Okay Borm, the next thing you need to do is put names to faces. I have no idea who is who!