Friday, March 21, 2008

Airport Drama

There was a little bit of drama at the airport this afternoon. I'm not going to get into the gory details, but let's just say that my mom thought fast and wiggled out of an uncomfortable situation. She looked straight in my eyes, and without saying anything, I knew she wanted me to play dumb. So I broke into việt kiều mode and spoke English. My mom then told the Saigon airport security that her việt kiều son didn't know what he was doing and asked if he could find it in his heart to let us through. She then slipped him a $20 bill. He took the money and let us through. As we walked away towards the gate, my mom whispered to me, "Damnit. I ran out of $5 bills. That guy didn't deserve $20!"

Mom and I have a long flight ahead of us. We're sitting here at the airport completely parched because we have no money left to buy a bottle of water. Both she and I are beat. In about an hour, we'll be flying to Taiwan and then back to San Francisco. It really has been an amazing ten days in Vietnam, but all good things do come to an end. That time is now.

1 comment:

DianeN said...

16 hours! That's soooo long to sit on the plane. But it was worth it!
Perhaps next time mom and Borm go back I will go too!