Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mode Of Transportation In Saigon

The mode of transportation in Saigon is via scooter, which the Vietnamese people refer to as "Honda." There is a 150% luxury tax for every automobile sold in Vietnam, hence only the well to do own cars. Everyone else drives around on scooters, which is quite a sight. Imagine the Boston Marathon, but instead of people running, it's a swarm of scooters fighting for a spot on the pot hole filled roads of Saigon. There are no traffic rules in Vietnam, so one must do what he or she has to in order to survive. Amazingly enough, even with no traffic laws, the people of Saigon do manage to make it through traffic unscathed.

When my cousin Dai informed me that I would be riding as a passenger on his Honda, I smiled and quickly cracked a joke about how I do not have double A and a V (that would be The Automobile Association of Vietnam!). I thought he was kidding! However, when he handed me a helmet, I realized that he was serious. He told me to put it on and then to hop onto the back seat. I placed the helmet onto my head and tried to squeeze into it. No luck. So, I asked my cousin Dai if he had a bigger sized one. He looked quite perplexed. He responded that that was an adult sized helmet. My other cousins started to laugh and muttered something along the lines of Americans having big heads. Fortunately, someone managed to find a helmet that fit my rather large cranium. I couldn't buckle the strap though, so I left it hanging. I then hopped on said a quick prayer. There are no seat belts on a scooter, so I held on to dear life.

To my surprise, my mom jumped onto the back seat of another cousin's scooter! I just figured my old lady of a mother would be taking a taxi in to town, but I was wrong! Mama put on a helmet and wrapped her arms around her driver like an old pro. I just couldn't picture my mom riding around on a scooter like that, so I whipped out my camera and started snapping away. This was probably not the smartest thing to do, as I had difficulties keeping my balance. Also, there are plenty of pick pocketers in Saigon, so having my camera out was clearly an invitation to rob me. Nonetheless, I needed this shot to prove to everyone back home that Mama really did this, so I risked theft and death. Check it out:

2 comments:

DianeN said...

YOU GO MOM! That was so FUNNY!!! Our Mom ROCKS! Now we just have to get her to go skydiving! heehee

That's very good footage Tony, thank you! I got the feel of riding in back of a "Honda" and seeing town.

DianeN said...

That's so cute that our cousins starting laughing about your large cranium and needing a larger Helmet. I can see our Cousin's reaction when you asked for a larger one....Vietnamese people have small craniums!