Sunday, August 31, 2008

Jeff Crispi Rocks



I managed to tweak my schedule so that I could attend the Avalon Micro Film Festival. I guess I'm making up for lost time for missing out on the whole "Doggie Style" experience last year. For those who are new to Blogged Arteries: The Unrendered Files, I am referring to It Donned On Me's 2007 San Jose Film Project submission. I know that last line probably sounded a bit perverse, so I had to make that clarification. In any case, I really do feel like I missed out last year due to family obligations, so when Jeff Crispi invited me to attend this event (where "Doggie Style" would be screened) I did what I could to get there.

The Avalon Micro Film Festival is the brain child of Jeff Crispi. What started out as "The East Bay Micro Film Festival," a screening that took place in Mr. Crispi's home, has turned into a film festival tour in New York, Oakland, the South Bay, and eventually San Francisco. This film festival is really making a name for itself, and I am proud that It Donned On Me is a part of it. Not only was "Doggie Style" screened, but so was "TwirlyBoy." I was very impressed by the selection of high caliber films that Jeff put together. I got to meet a few of the filmmakers as well as some of the actors, some of whom were hysterical. On the schedule for the evening (in no particular order):

"Renounced" - Angelo Bell
"Consumed" - Subject To Change
"Love Hurts" - Christian Simmons
"Doggie Style" - It Donned On Me
"El Invencion" Trailer - Andres Garcia Franco
"Sunshine Bob" - Christian Simmons
"All Nighter" - Ryota Mori
"Max" - Rick Kemp
"Crickets" - Kari Navil
"The Key Master" - Ryota Mori
"El Ride" - Veronica Rodriguez
"Tracker" - Steffan Shultz
"Pencil Face" - Christian Simmons
"TwirlyBoy" - It Donned On Me

After every film screened, Jeff had a question and answer session with the filmmakers. As TwirlyBoy, I got to be a part of the panel! Initially, it felt weird to be up there, but the other filmmakers were so supportive and fun that I completely chilled out and ran with it. The audience asked very insightful questions, but what was even better was hearing the filmmakers responses. When all questions were answered, Evan--who just happened to be the executive producer of this film festival--played some of the filmmaker's other works. It was well after 11pm, but I was still engrossed on the screen. However, as the clock ticked closer to midnight, I had to call it quits. I thanked everyone, especially Jeff, for the great evening.

The Avalon Micro Film Festival is an intimate engagement where the audience member really gets to know the filmmaker and his or her art. I like that. Jeff Crispi is doing something good for the film community. Jeff, if you're reading this, you rock!

1 comment:

Jeff Crispi said...

Thanks Tony, Evan Donn, and everyone who contributed their time, money, and films to the festival and the Summer edition charity, The Veterans' Families United Foundation. We hope to confirm the Fall edition venue soon. For information on the charities working the Avalon Micro Film Festivals and details on future shows link to avalonstudios.org