Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Road To Beijing

Three hours of sleep, hurray! We all agreed to meet back at my place at 10am, but since I had about 15 action items on my to do list, I got up at 7:30am to prepare for the filming of this road movie. As Dinah snoozed away in the guest room, I took my sick kitty to the vet to get her fluids. The last thing I wanted was to have my cat Poppy die on me during production! I am happy to report that after getting 200ml injected into her geriatric feline body, Poppy regained her poppiness. In any case, when I brought the cat back to the house, Dinah woke up, Mike arrived, and the three of us took off to find accessories for my TwirlyBoy costume. We only had one hour, so we raced through Joann Fabrics and Longs Drugs, scrambling for supplies.



10:34am.
After completing our little scavenger hunt, the three of us returned to the house and I immediately jumped into the shower. Dinah and Mike ventured off to Safeway to buy some food for the cast and crew and shortly after, Evan, Rick, and our actor, Matthew Sloan, arrived on set. I jumped out in my TwirlyBoy suit complete with the Ed Grimley 'do and introduced myself to Mr. Sloan. He had no idea why I looked the way I looked. Rick hadn't explained to him what we were doing yet, so he must have thought I was a freak. That's ok, I'm used to that kind of reaction from people.



11:08am.
Tom Flowers and Rob Carey arrive on set. The two coast side chumps missed the final exit and ended up crossing the San Mateo Bridge. That's actually not the first time this happened to an IDOM'er. Wanda Mazur had to cough up the toll when she missed the exit during the filming of "Urgent Care" last year. In any case, Tom and Rob's tardiness did not halt production because we were still trying to come up with a story! Hence we did not start shooting until after noon.

12:33pm.
The story of the Olympic ribbon twirler who refuses to go to Beijing is finally completed! Matthew Sloan will play Johnathon Thomas, the sports agent, and yours truly will be TwirlyBoy. Tom Flowers will play Johnathon's boss, Rick's friend Daphna will play a sexy woman, and both Evan and Rick will be cast as band members. I'm sorry that I cannot give any more information on the plot because this was all that I knew! Evan took Matthew out on the street to work on the first scene as I change into my Twirly hazmat suit.



1:08pm.
Evan commenced filming and directed the sports agent and TwirlyBoy in the road scenes. Underneath that hazmat suit is my thermal underwear TwirlyBoy costume. I was boiling. Matthew didn't have it any easier, as he had to carry all of TwirlyBoy's luggages to the car. He also got punched out by our director. Matthew definitely had the more physical role, but I had to suffer in that suit. We both deserve Academy Awards just for our endearing these harsh conditions!



1:27pm.
TwirlyBoy sweats it out in the convertible. Even with oxygen blowing into the suit, I was dying. Unfortunately, I couldn't leave the vehicle because the costume was just too cumbersome, so it was best to stay put. I didn't complain, for I am a professional. I may not be SAG, but I am dedicated to my craft!



2:49pm.
While I sweated away in the convertible, filming continued. Evan and Rob finished up Matthew's solo scenes and then we jumped right into Tom's scene in front of the green screen. I wonder how he's going to look in Beijing?



5:47pm.
It's a good thing Rob has a wide angle lens on his camera. If he didn't, then it is quite possible that Evan would have had to ride on the hood of the convertible in order to get the head on shot of TwirlyBoy and the sports agent. Can you imagine Director Donn as a hood ornament? In any case, Rob duct taped down his camera to the dashboard and Matthew and I drove off. The two of us improvised the scene all the way through. Hopefully, Evan will be able take bits and pieces of our banter and edit them together. Matthew drove around for about 15 minutes before pulling over to the local mini mart to film the Ho Ho and ho scenes. We had to work fast because the sun was going down!



10:04pm.
Unfortunately, the sun went down and we weren't able to get all the shots that we needed. You can't really argue with Mother Nature, so we sucked it up and planned for an early morning shoot on Sunday. We headed back to my place, took a dinner break, and jumped right into the telephone scenes between the sports agent and TwirlyBoy. Poor Matthew, I thought his eyeballs were going to fall out because of the allergies to my cats! Nonetheless, he pulled out the scene. I, too, had a difficult time, but mine were not allergy related. I had to do the scene on the hula chair, and my biggest fear was flying off of that that thing. I almost did, too!



12:24am.
At about 11pm, we all drove out to Cheers in Pacifica to film the final scene of our road movie. The Wander-Ins, Rick's kid's band, graciously agreed to let us use their drum kit for the final shot. We rocked out to The Wander-Ins surf music, and when they finished their set, we jumped onto the stage for scene. It felt weird being at this bar in my TwirlyBoy suit, but I stayed in character. The only time I broke character was when I saw Tom Flowers jump out onto the dance floor with Daphna and boogied to the surf version of 'White Wedding.' That was quite the scene! In any case, Evan said we had to crank this scene in less than three takes, so I had to really focus. Luckily, I was able to do it in two. The funny thing was that I misunderstood the director, and rather than fake drumming, I actually pounded away. Now that was embarrassing...



2:44am.
Another late night. Another early morning. It was already 3am and I had to be up in a few hours to film the twirly scenes. I guess I shouldn't complain. Evan was up later than I was, and the poor guy had to sleep on my couch. Unfortunately, I only have one guest room, and Dinah had dibs on it already. I really can't put him and her in the same room because that would be a little too weird. So, he slept on the couch. I did provide him with a fluffy pillow and a comforter. I just hope my cat didn't attack him in the middle of the night.

Boy oh boy, it was a very very long day. I am happy that we are halfway through the weekend, and I am confident that we will finish this road film and that it will be awesome! On a final note, it wouldn't be an IDOM 48 Hour Film Project without a sleeping Rob shot...

No comments: