Saturday, October 27, 2007

Frozen Peas.

I spent $10 on peas this morning. TEN DOLLARS! I went to the freezer aisle at Safeway and picked up for different bags of frozen peas. I just couldn't decide which one looked the most photogenic, so I bought them all. I'll have my director of photography, Sig Thorsen, help me choose the best looking pack. I hope the rejected peas won't be too disappointed.

Today is the day that I film my musical about a featherweight class boxer and his bag of frozen peas, and I wasn't worried at all. I learned from the first two projects that it really is about workflow. As long as I come into this filming prepared, I know that will be ok. Sure enough, I was very prepared. I finished writing my parody of "Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree" yesterday, so I spent the last 24 hours visualizing the look and feel of this film. I had the shot list in my head, which made Sig's job much easier. Professor Donn would be proud if he saw how prepared I was!

Sig and I arrived on location at about 11am. Since there was a screening at the Dolby theater later in the afternoon, we had to crank out the piano scenes first. It's a good thing our star was running a little late because that gave me a chance to jump into my tux and record the soundtrack. I paid an arm, a leg, and a few internal organs for that tuxedo, so I want to make sure that any opportunity I have to put it on, I will. As Sig set up the cameras, I recorded the parody using my USB Snowball. I went through about seven or eight takes before I got it right. I got way too emotional with the second verse of the song and found myself projecting more. As a result, there were some clips in the audio. It's a good thing Sig has a good ear, because I sure as heck didn't catch the blips. I was too busy getting into the song. In any case, after I got the perfect take, Sig filmed my scene and then we focused on Jeremy.

I'm glad Jeremy agreed to do this because he really made this film. I hit the jackpot with this guy because he definitely knows a thing or two about boxing. Jeremy noted that he had never acted in a film before, but I couldn't tell. He looked like a pro in front of the camera. We shot him in the locker room and then out in the parking lot. Because of Jeremy's professionalism, Sig's camera savvy, and a well populated shot list (good thing I had the lyrics down!), we were able to wrap up filming in a few hours. This is good because it's going to make my job editing a whole lot easier.

No comments: