Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Re: IDOM'ers, Ready For The NFC?

Standing in line at the post office, waiting to send our film off, I notice a sign on the far back wall: "Postmarks will not be given after 8:00pm. All items accepted after this time will be processed the next day" I glance at my watch... 9:30. Some quick mental calculations led me to believe I may have missed the postmark deadline. I figured that was it... the jig was up. We were doomed, done for, beaten down, kaput. The show was over, the band had gone home, the aardvark had... done whatever aardvarks do when they are done with whatever it is they do. I started searching around on my phone for anywhere that might take a later drop-off. Finally, my turn comes...

Me:
"I noticed you don't do postmarks this late....I just need to get this stamped and dated to confirm we shipped it today."

Postmistress:
"
Fill out this form. NEXT!"

And so we made it... the actual 'postmark' will be the 23rd, but it has a USPS-generated postage label with the 22nd on it as well as a big red ink stamp with the date and location it was accepted at, and I have a certificate of mailing with the same thing as well as the dated receipt, so I think we've satisfied the requirement of documenting the mailing date. I didn't think to do tracking - at the time I was so relieved that we'd actually made it that I just filled out the form she gave me without thinking about it until after I'd already left - so we'll just have to wait for confirmation from them. Now it's up to the judges! I wonder how many films actually made the deadline? I wonder how many films are actually any good? I wonder how many films have talking horses? I wonder what aardvarks do? Good work everyone! Time to relax and enjoy the holidays... your filmmaking deadlines are over for this year! Unless you're in my class....

Evan

No comments: