Saturday, May 24, 2008

228 Cunningham Drive


We made it into Colorado Springs a little after noon. Waiting at the gate was Ba Ski. When my mom made eye contact with her, the two of them smiled and hugged. They embraced each other for a few seconds. I had to start walking so that they would break up the hug and follow me. After picking up our bags, Ba Ski drove us back to the house.

When she pulled up into the driveway, my mom looked out of the window and just stared straight ahead. Returning to the house where her life in America first began overwhelmed her. My mother had to pause to take a deep breath. Ba Ski then announced that we had arrived, and the three of us got out and moved towards the front door. My mom immediately noticed the front porch and nostalgically muttered, "228 Cunningham Drive. It's still the same." Ba Ski put her arm around my mom's shoulders and the two of them entered the house. I realized at that point that this weekend was probably going to be as emotionally charged as our trip to Vietnam back in March.



1 comment:

DianeN said...

Maybe it's a good thing that I was too young to remember much. As I look at pictures of us kids back in Colorado, we were all smiling and looked happy! But unknown to us was the uncertainty that my parents felt in living in this new country with five young kids. With all of our successes, it was all due to my mom's motivation to provide and encourage her kids to strive for the best. Thanks Mom!