Friday, May 23, 2008

Burn Barrel

I pulled into the company parking lot earlier this week and bumped into the executive assistant to our CEO. I greeted her and accompanied her to our building. I threw out my standard ice breaker and was a bit surprised by her response. I asked, "what's new and exciting in your world, Lara?" and she responded, "I'm performing in a fire show this week." I had to stop and think about this. A fire show. What the heck is a fire show? My curiosity got the best of me, so I asked. Well, a fire show is exactly what it sounds like: a FIRE show! Apparently, Lara is fire dancer.

According to Wikipedia, "Fire dancing (also known as, "fire twirling," "fire spinning," "fire performance," or "fire manipulation") is a group of performance arts or disciplines that involve manipulation of objects on fire. Typically these objects have one or more bundles of wicking, which are soaked in fuel and ignited. Some of these disciplines are related to juggling or baton twirling (both forms of Object Manipulation), and there is also an affinity between fire dancing and rhythmic gymnastics. Fire dancing is often performed to music.

The executive assistant to our CEO is a fire dancer. Who would have thunk it? The IDOM light bulb in my head started to blink. With no hesitation, I immediately told Lara at we could probably use her talent in any upcoming 48 Hour Film Projects. She was definitely interested, and so when I got to my desk, I sent her to the It Donned On Me website. Can you imagine a fire dancer in the next IDOM project? In any case, Lara invited me to her show in Emeryville, and I happily attended. Burn Barrel is an amazing show. Think Cirque Du Soleil on crack crashing Jeff Foxworthy's trailer park and lighting it on fire. Good stuff.

I managed to capture a bit of the show on my Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS. To my surprise, the quality is actually pretty good. I've posted this short clip at the end of this blog. Unfortunately, YouTube degraded the quality in it's compression process, but nonetheless, the video looks ok. Check it out. Lara is one of the girls in the cowboy hat.


Trim yer mullets and grab yer gas cans, 'cause we're heading down to the Burn Barrel! Come see Copper Lantern's, Ex Machina, a retro-futuristic piece that blends dance, theater, fire and video with grease, gears and grime. Listen to the wicked and spellbinding tales of story telling troupe, Onkel Woland and the Black Forest Menagerie. Stay for Red, White and Fire, a premiere production that takes a satirical look at fire performance with a trailer park slant.

YES! You want to see clockwork girls! YES! You want ghastly faery tales come to life! YES! I want seven-foot fire villains! YES! You want daisy dukes! So come on down to the Burn Barrel! Prize for best trailer park costume featuring DJs Ripley and White Rabbit at the dance party to follow! ACME Warehouse 1281 30th St., Emeryville, 30th and Peralta.

Burn Barrel is a fire concert premiering this May 22rd and 23th. The show is a collaborative effort with Copper Lantern Fire Theatre, Vulcan Spin Crew, Lucid Dream Lounge, and many other wonderful... more Burn Barrel is made possible through PureKT Productions in collaboration with Copper Lantern Fire Theatre, Onkel Woland and the Black Forest Menagerie, Vulcan Crew, Lucid Dream Lounge, and many amazing beautiful individuals.

1 comment:

KT said...

Thanks for the write up and video blog. We will let you know about the BB next year. We'll be taking a different angle, but with just as much fun and antics.
KT of PureKT productions.