Saturday, May 24, 2008

En Route To Colorado Springs

It's a little bit before 5am and I am sitting here at the San Jose airport. My mom and I left the house at 3am to get here, so it will probably come as no surprise to you when I say that we had no sleep last night. The two of us are very tired, but we are content in knowing that we saved $200 by flying out of San Jose instead of SFO.

My mom and I are en route to Colorado Springs to visit the Tostanoskis, the family who sponsored us when we were Vietnamese refugees in the United States back in 1975. I never thought I would ever return to this Rocky Mountain state, but something magical happened two months ago when my mom and I traveled to Vietnam. I am now on a mission to learn everything I possibly can about my family history, and the Tostanoskis hold many of the missing pieces to this giant puzzle. I will be conducting oral histories on Ba Ski (that's the moniker by which we called Mrs. Tostonaski), the matriarch, and her two sons, Mike and Will. Unfortunately, the Tostanoski daughter, Irene, lives in Virginia, so I will not be able to meet with her. I am a bit saddened by this because from what my mother has told me over the past 33 years, Irene is the first girl I ever fell in love with! As for the patriarch of this family, I would have loved to talk to Mr. Tostonaski (Ong Ski in Vietnamese), but regretfully he passed away last year. I have a hunch that this trip will be another tear jerker for my mom, so I will have to mentally prepare myself for any sudden emotional outbreaks. I had a lot of practice in Vietnam, so I think I'll be ok.

We're going to be boarding pretty soon, so I will need to pack up my MacBook Pro. I just took a very unflattering snap shot of my mom snoozing, but I decided not to post it. This woman gave me life, and she could very easily take it away, so I figured I better play it safe and make sure she looks good in my blog. Hence, I am posting a vintage picture of her, circa 1975 in Colorado Springs.

1 comment:

DianeN said...

Wom, mom still looks as if she looked in 1975! Youthful and energetic!

I'm glad you are doing a documentary about the Nguyen's journey to America. Though I was too young to remember much, hearing stories from mom is just too incredible- the life that she lead, the fear and uncertainty during the war, and the struggle and challenge in living in a new country. I'm looking forward to reading and viewing more of your documentary!