Monday, May 26, 2008

The Chronology

I sat with Ba Ski for hours recording every story that Ba Ski had to share. My mom sat near by and listened as well. At times, my mom would interject comments and historical background. My interview soon turned into a conversation between my mom and Ba Ski. Together, both of these women dug into their memory banks and pieced this puzzle together, and I was lucky enough to be able to absorb all the information. To put things in perspective, below is a chronology of the events leading up to the Nguyens meeting the Tostonaskis:
  • May 21, 1975. Twenty days after the fall of South Viet Nam. We made our first attempt at escape but failed.

  • June 12, 1975. Second attempt. After five days and six nights on the open sea, a Danish ocean freighter named Maersk Line of the Maersk Steamship Co., rescued us.

  • June 26-27, 1975. We arrived in Mayaya, Japan. Because we were not authorized to enter Japan at this port, the Maersk Steamship Co. took us to Yokohama where the Japanese immigration allowed us to go ashore through the Japanese Caritas (Japanese Catholic Group), and the United Nations.




  • November 1, 1975. We arrived in New York and were taken to Indiantown Gap, Pennsylvania Refugee Camp. There, we were given a complete physical examination. Also, we filled out the necessary forms required by the United States government.




  • November 6, 1975. We received final permission to go to our sponsor, Mr. Bill J. Tostanoski of Colorado Springs.

I really am amazed at all the documentation and photos that my mom has kept over the years. She has really done an incredible job in preserving our family history. It is now my turn to take over and carry on the legacy.

No comments: