Tuesday, May 27, 2008

1975

It's nice to be back at sea level. Being 6000 feet up was a little bit too much for me to handle. I did ultimately get used to the altitude, but it took two days. By the time I got adjusted, it was time to return to California.

I'd like to take this time to thank Ba Ski, Mike, Will, their families, the Souzas, and St. Raphael Episcopal Church for welcoming and opening themselves up to us. I learned so much about my mom, my family, and myself this weekend, thanks to these people. Like my journey to Vietnam, this trip to Colorado Springs put many things into perspective. Having my mom by my side for both excursions helped me understand who I am and where I came from. Heritage is so important, and I am so fortunate to have a mother who has kept accurate records of our lives, and is willing to pass on her knowledge and experience. It is now my job to pass on everything I learned to the next generations of our family.

1975 was a crazy year for the Tostanoskis and the Nguyens. It's still odd to me, and I don't think I will ever fully comprehend how our paths met. It just happened. For me to say that I am grateful to both the Tostanoskis and my parents would be a gross understatement, but I am. I would like to add that everyone kept making reference to the year 1975 this weekend. As I sat on the plane, I did the math and came to the conclusion that in 1975, my mom was in her mid thirties, which is the age bracket that I am in today. My concerns in life seem so trivial, like whether I would have internet access at the airport or if Starbucks would run out of Splenda for my venti green tea lemonade. Her life at 35 was much different than what mine is like today. Talk about putting things into perspective.


No comments: