Monday, May 26, 2008

Me & Irene

I have no memory of my early years in Colorado Springs. Though I was physically there in 1975, I had to synthetically create these memories using the stories that my mom has told over the years and pictures from the old family photo albums. The one picture that has always stood out for me is the one of me with Irene, Mike and Will's older sister. Though I have no memory of Irene, growing up I always felt some sort of spiritual connection with her, based on my mother's endearing stories.


My mom remembers Irene as the young woman who loved the little kid who lived downstairs. Every morning, little Quang Khoi would hear Irene leave for work and he would run upstairs to give her a big hug. Apparently, every time Irene left, Quang Khoi would be very sad. I really don't know how much of these stories have been romanticized by my mom, but I do know that for the past 33 years, I've always had the utmost respect for Irene Tostanoki. Therefore, it came as no surprise that when Mike started to tell not so flattering tales of his sister, I immediately defended her and insisted that we could not continue the discussion because A) she was not there to defend herself, and B) I could not have her immaculate Virgin Mary-esque reputation tainted. Everyone burst into laughter. Mike then went down the laundry list of Irene's less than immaculate doings, but I turned away and tuned him out. I was not going to have my memories of Irene, albeit synthetically created ones, shattered!

No comments: